Saturday, March 1, 2008

Kiki Smith on her Stuart Collection project.

Kiki speaks unabashedly with her hands. Sometimes the most intimate moments occur when one is focused on the modesty of hands. Where else is an area with the densest nerve beds in the body
ever exposed, and wielding?

10 comments:

Σφιγξ said...

Language is circular, and inserting oneself into a preexisting system is both the challenge and frustration of writing.

http://www.ada.auckland.ac.nz/

Σφιγξ said...

Nabokov's 15th novel is a cosmology; however, the incest between Marina's children does not really interest me. Their gender, apparent relation, travels, reflections are subsumed into this text they are creating, and they "die into the finished book."

Σφιγξ said...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3DfyJRIT4jyN1F1WkF5Z2dndkE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3DfyJRIT4jyRUtOMi1EUEc2YjA/view?usp=sharing

Σφιγξ said...

I like Stuart Collection UCSD Standing (1998) much less than did then.

Σφιγξ said...

I would have never thought that the monumentality of nudes with poor posture would be played out and tiring. I like some of her craft and the animals, but my older self thinks she is overrated.

Feminism would have one believe that displaying the mortal body in immodest poses is sufficient in and of itself. What a scam the world had us to believe.

https://www.artnet.com/artists/kiki-smith/4

Σφιγξ said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63QFUkp_qLA

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/regret-belittling-men-63-ended-up-alone-3569366

Σφιγξ said...

"I placed so much importance on finding a 'strong man' who could match me, that I forgot men are people with feelings. Indeed I forgot I had feelings and hid my softness. I now see that I longed to be loved but I was too scared to be vulnerable. I was using my sharp mind to protect my all-too-soft heart against yet further rejection.

Another thing I regret deeply is my tally of one-night stands when I was younger. I distinctly remember thinking it would be uncool to say no to the men I met at parties, or dated but I struggled to enjoy it. There was always a disconnect. This was abundantly clear the morning after. As I lay there waiting for a sign of affection, he would be singing the triumphant 'had her' song in the shower. A quick cheerio and he was gone."

Σφιγξ said...

Also, this the end of such a life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFo79ktWy8c

Σφιγξ said...

People can change.

Σφιγξ said...

Just to recap: this article was written by someone in the sixth decade of life. I cannot relate to having one night stands with men.

I read somewhere about a 27-year-old Corinna Brown in Heartstopper (2022-present), which I do not watch: "I am 27 and still trying to become an adult." I relate more to this statement.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/regret-belittling-men-63-ended-up-alone-3569366

This, too:

"Today, relationships are more rootless, mediated through apps, screens and algorithms. Before 1995, zero percent of couples had met online. By 2017, 39% met online, making it the one of the most common ways, overtaking friends, work and family.

At the same time—partly driven by housing unaffordability, women’s rising educational and professional attainment, and growing individualism—young people are marrying later, having fewer children and spending more time alone than previous generations.

The most visible form of liquid relationships is situationships: romantic connections without clear labels or commitment. They are a symptom, but not the cause of liquid relationships. Dating apps offer an infinite pool of candidates without the need to commit. 'Till death do us part' has been replaced by 'let’s see what happens.'"

"Young people are living in a gerontocracy, a system where governments and decision-makers are significantly older than most of the population. Many feel like they can’t shape their own future.

At the same time, Boomers remaining in the workplace for longer creates a blockade, stalling and limiting the career opportunities of future generations. Young people are best placed to feel the impact of geopolitical tensions, economic uncertainty and environmental destruction, but worst positioned to shape policy and their own futures.

According to the 2026 Edelman Trust Barometer, only 32% of people globally believe the next generation will be better off than today. Naturally, Gen-Z exhibits historically low trust in traditional institutions such as government, media and big business simply because they don’t serve them. The companies that will win trust will be those that hand the pen to young people to author the next chapter."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kianbakhtiari/2026/07/12/what-happened-to-adulthood-welcome-to-gen-zs-liquid-adulthood/