Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Stephen Jay Gould - portrait/interview, 1984 (part 4 of 6)

I was thinking about Howard Gardner's eighth intelligence, that is, naturalistic intelligence. Who exemplifies this more than Stephen Jay Gould with his panda's thumbs, dinosaurs in haystacks? When I read Mismeasure of Man I think I hear Kurt Vonnegut...Unfortunately, his wittiness endears his writing to the layman more than his peers. I receive the same reception when I mention that I like
Jared Diamond...that at least the poor benighted populace is reading about science, but they will never get through the front door to the evolutionary biologists.

2 comments:

Σφιγξ said...

I do, hear Vonnegut, who composed a thesis for his Master's degree at the University of Chicago contending that the American Apache predated, and may have informed, the Cubist movement of Europe. Cat's Cradle's public success actually swayed the Anthropology department to confer the degree.

Σφιγξ said...

https://thesecondprinciple.com/optimal-learning/naturalistic-intelligence/