Saturday, July 18, 2009

Changes in how people wrote.



Who so list to hount, I knowe where is an hynde,
But as for me, helas, I may no more:
The vayne travaill hath weried me so sore.
I mae of theim that farthest commeth behinde;
Yet may I by no meanes my weried mynde
Drawe from the Diere: but as she fleeth afore,
Faynting I folowe. I leve of therefore,
Sins in a nett I seke to hold the wynde.
Who list her hount, I put him owte of dowbte,
As well as I may spend his tyme in vain:
And, graven with Diamonds, in letters plain
There is written her faier neck rounde abowte:
Noli me tangere , for Caesars I ame;
And wylde for to hold, though I seme tame.



3 comments:

Σφιγξ said...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5873626/

Σφιγξ said...

I found an Oxford edition of John Gower's Confessio Amantis, without the modern linear notes of the fourteenth-century poem. It is slow-going on a glance.

I thought that a seed of Cressidye, as it does in Chaucer, might diffuse helpfully in the current work.

Σφιγξ said...

John Gower is filth. No.